Floods can be one of the most damaging natural disasters a homeowner can experience. They can cause extensive damage to your home and property, and the cleanup and repair process can be costly and time-consuming. That’s why it’s important to take proactive steps to prepare for floods, especially if you have flood insurance. InsureWise would like to share the importance of flood preparedness and provide some tips for homeowners and why you will want to have a good flood insurance policy.
Why Disaster Preparedness is Important
Flood preparedness is critical for homeowners who live in areas that are prone to flooding. Being prepared can help you prevent water damage to your property, reduce the costs of repairs, and ensure that you and your family stay safe. Where having flood insurance is very important to help you financially, there is even more you can do to be better prepared. Her are a few additional tips that can better prepare you for potential flooding of your home
Safety Tips to Prepare for Floods
1. Know Your Risk: The first step in flood preparedness is to understand your risk. You can do this by checking the flood maps provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to see if your property is located in a flood-prone area. Do not think because you live in a desert that you are not at risk of flood damage. Back in July of 1999, Las Vegas experienced a valley wide flood that led to major damage to the city. If your home is in a flood prone area you will want to know.
2. Have a Plan: Create a flood emergency plan for your family if another major flooding event occurs. This should include an evacuation plan, a list of emergency contacts. You should have bottled water, emergency food and a plan on how to shut off utilities in case of a flood.
3. Prepare Your Home: There are several ways you can prepare your home for a flood. You may want to consider elevating your electrical system, installing backflow valves on your sewer lines, and sealing any cracks in your foundation or walls. In this way, you can reduce damage and reduce electrical hazards.
4. Keep Important Documents Safe: Keep important documents, such as personal documentation and your insurance policies in a waterproof and or fireproof safe. You can also store copies of these documents in a secure online location as well.
5. Review Your Flood Insurance Policy: Make sure you understand the details of your flood insurance policy, including what is and what is not covered. You should also review your policy annually to ensure that you have adequate coverage. Note that water damage and flood damage insurance are two separate types of coverage.
Flood Insurance Policies & More in Las Vegas, Henderson, Reno, North Las Vegas, Summerlin, Paradise, Spring Valley, Sunrise Manor, Enterprise, Sparks, Carson City & State of Nevada
Flood preparedness is essential for homeowners and to have a good flood insurance policy. By taking proactive steps to prepare for a flood, you can help minimize damage to your home, property and protect your family. Remember to review your flood insurance policy to ensure that you have adequate coverage. If you feel that you should have flood insurance and don’t have any, contact InsureWise to get flood insurance coverage today or click here to submit this quick and easy quote form.